As Nelson irrigation and pumping specialists, irrigation is a big part of what we do at AG Water Ltd, so we were pleased to hear the Government has acknowledged that irrigation infrastructure is a key part of our future prosperity as a country.
The industry is one which has often flown ‘under the radar’ in terms of public profiling. When most people think of farming, irrigation isn’t always the picture that comes to mind, right?
But as anyone in farming or agricultural engineering will agree, it is an industry that is integral to the success of any farming operation.
In brief, Government’s 30 Year Infrastructure Plan has recognised:
- The importance of the industry
- The need for more national and regional government support
- The need to ensure water storage and irrigation infrastructure maximises the economic and social benefits our freshwater
- The need for continued protection of the environment
- Delays caused by the RMA and consenting processes need to stop
- The need for collaborative catchment scale solutions.
Creating solutions that produce environmental benefits and positive economic/social outcomes is one the reasons we love what we do. It’s great to see the Government recognises the importance, value and potential of our industry.
What are your thoughts on the Government’s 30 Year Infrastructure Plan? We would love to hear from you – please leave your comments below.